Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
8/25/2013 11:26:05 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

RAA, right now, no.

Just a head's up, if it weren't for the 24-hour maximum drop thing, the price would be in the lower $90s.

There's been a seven day average of 3.9 million pounds a day sent to the packer due to people trying to get in before the change. That's about 25% more per day than normal.
 British Breeders
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/25/2013 7:26:15 PM reply with quote send message to British Breeders Object to Post

Well I know I've been killing any feeders over 1500lbs before monday. I can see the price being low for a little while but it should lift after that.
 British Breeders
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 12:25:02 AM reply with quote send message to British Breeders Object to Post

How acurate is the price estimate? Or is it just for steers under 1500lbs and 60 days? I have a cow who's estimate is $843 but she only weighs 814lbs. On my working out she should only be 68% the market price which should make her $562 (if I worked that out right? and the current market price as I right this is 101.58 CWT)
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

8/26/2013 12:30:34 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Which cow?
 British Breeders
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 5:38:46 AM reply with quote send message to British Breeders Object to Post

Sorry didnt put up a link
www.showcattle.com/cattle.aspx?id=10136190

Current weight 838lbs current estimate $868
 4 Quarters Cattle Company
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 8:05:59 AM reply with quote send message to 4 Quarters Cattle Company Object to Post

Just wondering if the new format for market is in? Also I was going to ship young recips to market and I noticed the price came out to .71 cents. Buy the way I read that doesn't add u as they are only 38 days and about 800#. Why such a poor price? That's worse then it was before. Please fill me in.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

8/26/2013 8:31:15 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

British, thanks, I'll investigate that shortly.

4 Quarters Cattle Company, please post links to specific cattle if you want me to look into them.

Regarding this in comparison to before, this isn't meant to be higher than it was before. There will be some types of cattle that bring a lot less.
 BeefyFarms
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 11:22:10 AM reply with quote send message to BeefyFarms Object to Post

I like the fact that you are attempting to increase the realism of the sim, but it would be helpful to have the new fluctuating market price posted somewhere obvious; I can't find it anywhere.

To those that are upset about the change, I can empathize as you woke up this morning and found that a big chunk of the equity in your herd is gone.

I'm fortunate that I'm just starting over and haven't got many head yet and mostly young. But my whole business model is out the window now and until I figure out the new metrics I don't have one.

Is it possible to bring back sexing of semen/embryos to compensate for the greater bias against females at the packer?

I'm sure we are all going to see a dramatic shift in the game's economics as see by today's auction prices dropping off.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

8/26/2013 12:23:21 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

I like the fact that you are attempting to increase the realism of the sim, but it would be helpful to have the new fluctuating market price posted somewhere obvious; I can't find it anywhere.
I put the market price along with an hourly chart of it on the front page of the site Friday morning.

To those that are upset about the change, I can empathize as you woke up this morning and found that a big chunk of the equity in your herd is gone.
I didn’t want anybody to wake up into that situation which is why I gave four days notice. There has been more cattle sent to the packer in that time than any other four day period on we have recorded.

I'm fortunate that I'm just starting over and haven't got many head yet and mostly young. But my whole business model is out the window now and until I figure out the new metrics I don't have one.
Which part of the new metrics are confusing you? If your business model was based on exploiting rather obvious shortcoming of the game, like most strategies that fit that description, it was only a matter of time before it stopped working.

Is it possible to bring back sexing of semen/embryos to compensate for the greater bias against females at the packer?
No.

We are going to bring back the ability to sex semen at the time it’s collected.

Sexing embryos is insanely rare in beef cattle production. You'll be able to have them 'sexed' if you use sexed semen but we're not bringing back the ability to do it with frozen embryos.

Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 1:07:27 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by admin
No.

Sexing embryos is insanely rare in beef cattle production. You'll be able to have them 'sexed' if you use sexed semen but we're not bringing back the ability to do it with frozen embryos.

Just to clarify, flushes made with sexed bull semen will now result in bull embryos with the same % accuracy as the sexed semen instead of flushing like non-sexed semen like it has been?
 BeefyFarms
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 1:10:28 PM reply with quote send message to BeefyFarms Object to Post

Thank you Admin for taking the time to address my post. I didn't mean to offend, I was just confused because I didn't see this thread until this morning when I lost money on a transaction.

I didn't think to find this thread under 'general' and kept looking at 'announcements' waiting for this thread to turn up there. I was wrong.

I didn't see the market price info on the first page because it was so ubiquitous that I always skipped it and never scrolled down. My apologies.

Reintroducing the sexing of semen will help, thank you.

To address my question of the metrics, I think I've figured out the jist of it. For example:

- A 120 day old cow weighing 1600 lbs going to the packer would be as follows:

(current CWT) x 0.68 Female discount x 0.50 overweight discount = 0.34(CWT) x weight

- A pure black bull that is 40 days & 1200 lbs would be:

1.02(CWT) x weight

- But if that same bull was 65 days & 2000 lbs:

(CWT) x 0.80 old discount x 0.50 overweight discount x 1.02 black premium = 0.408 (CWT)

Do I have that straight?
 FF Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 1:35:31 PM reply with quote send message to FF Farms Object to Post

posted by
posted by admin
No.

Just to clarify, flushes made with sexed bull semen will now result in bull embryos with the same % accuracy as the sexed semen instead of flushing like non-sexed semen like it has been?

I'll own my question/comment, it logged me out between me opening the reply window and posting the reply.
 4 Quarters Cattle Company
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 7:17:23 PM reply with quote send message to 4 Quarters Cattle Company Object to Post

Major problem, not happy I sent approximately 15-20 recips to market and got an average off 100$ per head. What happened?
 -D Ranch
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/26/2013 8:41:43 PM reply with quote send message to -D Ranch Object to Post

You said condition doesn't matter right now, so why did my 1400 lbs steers sell for $600
 New Hall Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/26/2013 11:34:38 PM reply with quote send message to New Hall Ranch Object to Post

Hope is just an error, I sent 75 receipts to the market and got $0.
 bh showcattle1
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/27/2013 7:17:21 PM reply with quote send message to bh showcattle1 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I sent around 200-250,head to market last nite and got $0.00 for them .... and about 100 I only got $.10 or less for them .....

-----
Last edited by bh showcattle1 on 8/27/2013 7:23:14 PM
 Fleckvieh Simmental Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/27/2013 11:56:32 PM reply with quote send message to Fleckvieh Simmental Ranch Object to Post

I just sent 400 lb bull calves to market (by bulk market method) it started at .96/lb and went up to 1.14/lb. It went from the first calf bringing .96/lb to the last calf bringing 1.14/lb. It never went down and just gained gained gained! its in my transactions from around 8-9pm on the 27th. These were all 12 day old simmi BULL calves fed open range with a .5 rib covering.

-----
Last edited by Fleckvieh Simmental Ranch on 8/27/2013 11:57:20 PM
 Bar X Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/28/2013 6:46:51 AM reply with quote send message to Bar X Ranch Object to Post

I , got only a few cents a pound for 700-800 pound heifers
 SRB Farming
Trial Account

Trial Account
8/30/2013 4:57:25 AM reply with quote send message to SRB Farming Object to Post

OK at first I thought the new realistic pricing was a good thing but how can it be in such a un-realistic game.

If you have a cow who lives for 450 days, over her lifespan she could easily have 42 calves if bred every 10 days. You can fatten animals to 1500 on open range in 60 days, by then your cows had 6 more calves.

There is going to be an oversupply of animals going to the packer.

I don't know if you can have real-world pricing and supply/demand effects on that price in this game.
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2013 5:00:33 AM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

-----
Last edited by Matty.Martin on 8/30/2013 5:02:19 AM

Replies in this thread : 45
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>