Search

Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 76
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Claypan Feedlot
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/15/2014 11:22:45 PM reply with quote send message to Claypan Feedlot Object to Post

Good to hear you got some rain - Still nothing here.
We own a Gelbvieh stud.
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/16/2014 1:29:45 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

yeah we are lucky! hope you get rain soon! its getting desperate now.
cool what town do you live in? and do you have a website or face book page? if you do it would be grate to see, send it to my mail=)

-----
Last edited by Sowden Ranch on 3/16/2014 1:54:01 AM
 West vally Brahman co.
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/19/2014 2:34:35 AM reply with quote send message to West vally Brahman co. Object to Post

hi, Carmen is it?

We have a fitting serves that mainly deals in Brahmans. we just have 3 cows and 1 bull that we show and breed out of (they are Brahmans). we live 20 km out of Roma and have about 80 acres of planted pasture (We have found that the cheapest and most affective)

did you say you lived in Kingaroy and have Limousins? cause we went to the Kingaroy show a few years ago wen there was a feature thing on there. I might have seen your stud.

West vally Brahman co.
Lucy
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/20/2014 1:17:33 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

cool!

No we didn't go to the Kingaroy show a few years ago. It walled be dry out your way hay!!!! my dad works out there and said its supper dry out the, worst he's ever seen!

Do you have a website Lucy?

hope you get some rain soon!

Carmen
 West vally Brahman co.
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/20/2014 1:27:33 AM reply with quote send message to West vally Brahman co. Object to Post

yeah its really dry.

no we don't have a website. last time we had one something pretty bad happened and wont have one again.

Lucy
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/20/2014 1:42:58 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

what happened?
 British Breeders
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/20/2014 4:56:17 AM reply with quote send message to British Breeders Object to Post

I'm sorry if this comes across as me being a jerk but that many spelling errors, really?

"Douse" - Does
"Bread" - Bred
"Magger" - Major
"Skary" - Scary
"Hay" - Hey
"Bread" - Breed
"Grate" - Great
"Supper" - Super
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/20/2014 5:07:06 AM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

GO TEAM NSW WOOOOOO
 British Breeders
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/20/2014 5:15:31 AM reply with quote send message to British Breeders Object to Post

"Walled" - Would
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/21/2014 3:55:03 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

sorry! first I spell it bad then if I look at it for a bit I'll get it right but I never do! I probably should=)
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/21/2014 3:57:04 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

No your not a jerk its probably me who's an idiot!
Its ok. BTW. I don't mind I took it the right way=)!!
Carmen
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/23/2014 12:39:42 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Now lets get back to the topic=)
 Double LDS Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/23/2014 9:24:05 AM reply with quote send message to Double LDS Farms Object to Post

I just show cattle at my country fair the state fairs and the other ones just take to much work,money,time
 Croissant Red Angus
Trial Account

Trial Account
3/30/2014 9:35:22 PM reply with quote send message to Croissant Red Angus Object to Post

We run 200 head of registered Red Angus cattle but do not show. I have nothing against people who show and I have friends who show but real good show cattle wouldn't make it in a production seed stock operation. The EPD's (real life animal trait numbers) on an a show critter are too heavily sided to one area for production livestock. I came to this cite to run cattle the same way as we do on our operation, animals that perform in a feedlot or in a heard. I haven't been on in 3 years but I'm getting back into it.
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/4/2014 2:16:25 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

that's fine but would like to just say this.

Studs have a set market and so do commercial cattle. Stud cattle are constantly trying to make better EBV to improve the yielding, meat qualities, structure, birth weight ECT. this improving the overall production and quality of the cattle of Australia and around the world today and into the future. if we slowly put the better traits into the commercials I believe Australia's meet standards and cattle standard would be able to improve and more people would import from Australia.
As you said about studs I have nothing against commercial cattle but I do defiantly not think that studs and show cattle ant in a good production line and "wouldn't make it in a production seed stock operation". I think that line was very VERY offensive to the people who put quality and spend generations on making there cattle the very best. Without them the Australian cattle industry would not be to the quality in could be and wouldn't be very good.

I did not mean to be offensive to you or any one else but I was just stating my honest opinion.

Thank you for you post BTW=)

Carmen
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/4/2014 12:53:29 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

And your honest opinion is right, I dont know who can throw words around like stud cattle arent worth it, he must have a pretty impressive commercial herd to claim that (probably all stud cows)

-----
Last edited by Matty.Martin on 4/4/2014 12:54:01 PM
 Maxey Black Hereford Farm
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/4/2014 2:33:52 PM reply with quote send message to Maxey Black Hereford Farm Object to Post

since a lot of people that show cattle on here are posting about it maybe this would be a good time to answer my question and get a lot of opinions.

I plan on being an Ag teacher and raising around 50 head of registered Hereford and Angus both. I also plan on having a much larger commercial herd of mainly angus, simple because of the price difference.

but anyways my question is I would love to have show steers for my students to show, as I didn't do it in high school because of the money involved my parents simply couldn't afford. and is my biggest regret, I would like to offer affordable show steers and have the equipment needed to do so. but my question is I know nothing about the show steer sires, I would rather use the big EPD Sires across America, will the sires produce some nice steers that could show? I wouldn't be winning a lot but I would like for them to compete. and I am set on angus and Hereford because of several reasons any cattle person could point out. But I would like to have 2 breeds so students could choose between and they wouldn't be close minded on just angus steers, so I don't want to deal with char crosses or anything like that.

Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Btw if it means anything im American I do not live in Australia.

MAX
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/4/2014 10:14:06 PM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

hey!
If you would like you could ask me some questions on my email. If I were you I wouldn't be picking Herefords and angus cause in Australia both those breads are starting to die of in the showing game.

I show limos over hear and think there the best to deal with and one of the best quality (and they are pretty big over in America) and for the looks and grooming side of things longer haired cattle are best, and your students could learn how to groom properly.

I honestly think you should do a few causes and watch a few videos on showing and grooming. but first on how to pick good cattle. you can find that out by asking big cattle people on what they think but after a while you'll probably develop your own taste of cattle.

Keep asking me some questions on my email I'll try to answer them as well as possible.

Carmen

-----
Last edited by Sowden Ranch on 4/5/2014 12:05:28 AM
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/5/2014 12:09:59 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

hey!
If you would like you could ask me some questions on my email. If I were you I wouldn't be picking Herefords and angus cause in Australia both those breads are starting to die of in the showing game.

I show limos over hear and think there the best to deal with and one of the best quality (and they are pretty big over in America) and for the looks and grooming side of things longer haired cattle are best, and your students could learn how to groom properly.

I honestly think you should do a few causes and watch a few videos on showing and grooming. but first on how to pick good cattle. you can find that out by asking big cattle people on what they think but after a while you'll probably develop your own taste of cattle.

to be honest I think you should make the number of breeders only about 10-15 cause that would be a bit hard for a school to feed them with the costs of feed so expensive and other things (you don't want them going broke=)!!!).

Keep asking me some questions on my email I'll try to answer them as well as possible.

Carmen
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/5/2014 12:11:28 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Matty.Martin I think your right, it would have to be a REALLY good commercial herd!

Replies in this thread : 76
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>