Search

Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 76
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Maxey Black Hereford Farm
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/5/2014 2:01:08 AM reply with quote send message to Maxey Black Hereford Farm Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Carmen, in America 2nd most popular breed Hereford and 1st is angus.
(animals Registered)

I do not like the way limousin cattle looks, too muscular and not enough cap in them for me. I am close minded on those breeds I refuse to use any other breeds. birth weights, mature size, cap space and muscle are all what I like in Angus and Hereford.

I am not saying all limousin are all muscle and no cap. there are some nice ones, but the breed as a whole they are not for me.

Limsouin, Simmental, Charolais, and Shorthorn. I have personal reasons and educated reasons why I do not want to breed them. Any other breed would be too much of a pain to get ahold of.

I do know what good cattle look like and what bad cattle look like. I used to judge livestock in High School, so have a little experience in eye appeal. So I'm not going into this completely blind, im just asking would the Angus and Hereford seed stock sires used for seed stock operations produce decent show steers/heifers.

I would rather not use Club Calf Sires. But opinions are welcomed.

Thanks Again

MAX

-----
Last edited by Maxey Black Hereford Farm on 4/5/2014 3:19:15 AM

-----
Last edited by Maxey Black Hereford Farm on 4/5/2014 3:35:38 AM
 Maxey Black Hereford Farm
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/5/2014 2:04:14 AM reply with quote send message to Maxey Black Hereford Farm Object to Post

another note-

all of the registered cattle would be mine, not the schools. I will be feeding them and taking care of them on my farm. I'm also currently in college. after all my general class ill learn to groom bathe and other *taking care of show steer* tricks in college. while taking all my Ag classes
 Woodlands Brahman and Blonds
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/5/2014 5:56:32 AM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

First of all I cant see how you could Possibly think angus are dieing in the show ring? They are by far one of the largest numbered breeds at all the royal shows, and the demand for black cattle is still on the increase.

What I would recommend when aiming to breed show steers is forget about ebvs for a minute and just look at the cattle. Select the cows on what they actually are and not what their ebvs say they 'should' be, and choose bulls that will physically complement and improve the cow. if she is a big tall rangy female, you probably want to choose a nice square thick soft bull to use. if she is a smaller thick super soft cow you can probably look at using a big super thick hard muscled bull that will put a real muscular carcase on her calves but you know they will cover because of the dams physical attributes.
I wouldn't recommend pure Angus or hereford calves if its a led competition because I think you will struggle to get the butt profile and that extreme carcase that they are chasing, however I think your mad if you don't use angus or Hereford as 50% of their breed makeup as without that British blood you will he feeding them for 200+ days just to get them to cover.
Ideally id be using angus and Hereford cows and choosing a softer type European breed (simmi, char,limo etc) to add carcase to them.

However if just doing prime cattle id stick to straight Angus or herefords because you know they will cover in 90 days.

Hope that helps.
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/6/2014 1:37:21 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

I meant for Australia that's all=)
I didn't Know about America.
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/6/2014 5:08:22 AM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

Angus are not decreasing in numbers in Australia they are getting stronger, as for Herefords they are still strong down south, just not so much in QLD.
 Lannah ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/6/2014 11:40:40 PM reply with quote send message to Lannah ranch Object to Post

hi everybody I show real cattle
 Pine Bluff Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/7/2014 12:53:27 AM reply with quote send message to Pine Bluff Farms Object to Post

I raised and showed PB Simmental cattle in the 80's. Performance bred cows bred to show type bulls. Had a deal of success. Now I have a couple of cows, a retired show heifer (17 time Champion Chi and 10 time Supreme Champion in North Texas and Ok. Sold her first baby who's first time out this year was Reserve Breed Champion and second time out was Breed Champion. The other is a PB Angus bred to a Chi bull. But I'm not trying to raise high dollar show steers. My focus, like the game, is heifers that'll win in the ring and produce in the pasture when they're done. The pictures on my page are of my own cattle.
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/7/2014 1:59:35 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

I am not saying the bread is dyeing I am saying the quality of them is decreasing and in Australia there isn't many real good ones left.

Is that OK with you.
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/7/2014 2:00:20 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Do you know about Lim Flex?
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/7/2014 2:02:56 AM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

You have your opinion and everyone else has the other
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/7/2014 2:16:51 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Also in the led steer comps they look for more of the carcass cattle with the big eye appeal and big hid quieter.

And if you wanted to still use some Angus I walled be using Lim Flex (Limousin X Angus). I think there a real good breed for led steers with the softness, structure and great frame of the Angus but with the muscle, yield, walking ease, style (well I think they have style) and that bit of masculinity of the limos. TO ME, this is the wining recipe for the show steer game.

this is just my opinion and you don't have to agree on it.

Last year we had a Lim Flex steer and it got Grand Champion at Australia's biggest hoof and hook comp. if you want to see him Google:

grand champion steer at EKKA 2013
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/7/2014 2:30:08 AM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

Premium Member

Premium Member
4/7/2014 8:06:14 PM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

posted by Matty.Martin
www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-07/qch-ekka-led-steer-results/4871424
Too bad our Pure Angus steer won champion carcase and proved the judge still needs to do his homework....

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-12/ekka-carcase-results/4880350
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/7/2014 8:15:21 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

Im a limousin man but I have to agree with that angus
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/7/2014 10:31:21 PM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

Most breeds have their place in the industry because they have strengths and weaknesses that appeal to different people. But to say the quality of one of the strongest breeds on the country is on the decline I think is insulting.
 OZZIE FEEDERS
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/7/2014 11:47:46 PM reply with quote send message to OZZIE FEEDERS Object to Post

over in WA Angus are seeing a huge growth like any breed there is some good and some not so good cattle but when you have as many cattle going out in the industry as the angus breed does its easy for other breeds to talk them down to try and compete, i personally breed charolais , have worked for a number of years with multiple studs and just got my first hfr. But even i agree angus are doing something right
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/8/2014 12:08:55 AM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

I cant speak for our American friends, but I think maybe to problem sowden has is cause we have so many varients in the way angus look here, most stud angus look neat but I have seen some that look like they are out of dairy cows
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/8/2014 12:26:00 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Not saying the breed as a hole is declining I think there a real strong bread and there are a lot of them in Australia, but there is just a lot of ordinary ones but there is still a lot of good ones to like Woodlands Brahman and Blonds steer from last year (I think he should of done better than that though!)=)!!!

But a few of them are pretty darn ordinary! And I think you could agree with that.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I would never try to=)
Carmen
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/8/2014 12:26:50 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

posted by Sowden Ranch
Not saying the breed as a hole is declining, I think there a real strong bread and there are a lot of them in Australia and they are very popular, but there is just a lot of ordinary ones but there is still a lot of good ones to like Woodlands Brahman and Blonds steer from last year (I think he should of done better than that though!)=)!!!

But a few of them are pretty darn ordinary! And I think you could agree with that.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I would never try to=)
Carmen

Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/8/2014 12:34:12 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Did anyone look the steer up?
did you like him?

Replies in this thread : 76
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>