Search

Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 76
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/9/2014 12:18:31 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Yeah and that was us on the website ( the ABC one), me and my younger sister (from Lannah ranch)
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/9/2014 12:27:15 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

I actually quit like the angus and think they cross well with anything that's what makes them such a popular bread and that's why I like them. so I do not like the bread its just I think there so mass produced in some areas there isn't much quality there, but you do get your real goog ones and your really really bad ones like with all breads.

Carmen

Trial Account

Trial Account
4/9/2014 11:58:28 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Angus was ONE of the first breeds to start keeping records and EPD's. No other breed comes close to AAA Data. Over half of the commerical cattle farmers Use Angus Cattle-Angus Cross.

Also I guess you could say this is an opinion, but numbers speak for it. The America Angus Associsation had done a magnificent job on marketing there product.

Now my opinion.

Angus is Dominating the Cattle industry, no one can agrue that. So then other cattle breeds have to start getting competitive. So what do they do? they start promoting Angus cross cattle. Carmen, you saying that Angus are good for cross breeding. But other breeds have created that mindset. Heres a list of Organizations that now recognize Angus cross cattle.

Limousin - LimFlex
Gelbvieh - Balancer
Maine Anjou - Maine Angus
Simmental - SimAngus

Just naming a few. Also to note, think about how many breeds have changed there coat to black, or solid black Purebreds. Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin. theres a few more also. Angus only Registers 100% angus cattle, they accept no kind of crossbred.

Lastly you're saying that because theres so popular, people are over breeding them and some of the angus quality has went down. but honestly i dont think the % of "bad" angus is any worse than the % of "bad" limousin, Charolais, Gelbvieh or any other breed. Yes there probably is more "bad" angus simply because are alot more of them. But i dont think the % of the breed as a whole is any worse.

Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/9/2014 9:02:07 PM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

yeah I know, there's probably the same amount of bad angus as any other bread.
 Woodlands Brahman and Blonds
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/9/2014 9:35:44 PM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

dont forget most of the country has been in major drought, and angus arnt the hardiest of breeda simply because of their British origin.
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/10/2014 1:24:40 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

That's very true!

Just if you want to have a bit of reading:

You probably know Angus cattle are the flavour of the month, like at McDonalds they advertise there "Angry Angus burger" and if you go to the meet section in most supermarkets your guaranteed to see a section for Angus beef. You never see a section for any other breed. And the Angus society have done extremely well to get this, but....How much percentage of Angus is the meet? How do you know what they are?
Well I can tell you this, as long as they have a little bit of Angus (even if its like there 5% angus) so its almost cheating in that manor. So that's not real fair to the other breeds who don't get a mention! This also isn't real honest by the shops who just say that cause it sounds good, and to make customs think there selling top quality meet from what they try to say is the best breed.
So...

Carmen
 Woodlands Brahman and Blonds
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/10/2014 5:47:06 AM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

Thats marketing for you. how many times do you see someone marketing something or selling it and it's not exactly as it looks or sounds... everywhere. In most instances you wouldn't know if it were angus or not, however 'certified angus' is a different story, its guaranteed. Still doesn't mean it will taste any better than standard beef, however you would like to thin with the easy fattening nature of the breed, there will be a higher fat content in the meat, and we all know fat = flavor.
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/11/2014 2:45:13 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Yeah, That's marketing!

Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/12/2014 1:21:45 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Does any one else show real cattle?
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/12/2014 1:47:57 AM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

Yes I do, I have limousin but do mostly steers
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/12/2014 3:01:07 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Yeah us too, We only started the Limousin stud a year ago before then we had mostly steers
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/12/2014 3:01:45 AM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hay, what's your stud called?

-----
Last edited by Sowden Ranch on 4/13/2014 1:07:37 AM
 Brimlo
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/19/2014 12:26:16 AM reply with quote send message to Brimlo Object to Post

Has anyone in QLD got any rain? We're we are in WA is pretty dry right now needing something to put some water in the dams! But nothing as bad as you guys over there, really breaks your heart hearing all of the stories about people having to put down there cattle. We actually just organised a hay run that went to Bourke from the south west of WA, and are trying to organise another one to go straight through the guts of the NT and hopefully get to all the people in the central/north of Queensland. Praying for you guys!!

Tim
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
4/25/2014 11:14:30 PM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

I think most of Qld got some good rain a few weeks ago. (well we did anyway).

But we have some friends in Bundy and they got 7 inches (they where doing it REALLY tough). So I think most of us got a bit up here.

What about you down there? have you got any?
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/30/2014 3:12:29 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

I show angus crossed with a purebred Hereford bull for show calves and mine do really well but my dad does not let me show at more then 2 fairs but the angus cows are crossed bred with who knows what
 Sowden Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
5/4/2014 7:43:50 PM reply with quote send message to Sowden Ranch Object to Post

Cool! are you in America?

Replies in this thread : 76
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>