Search

Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : BUYER/SELLER BEWARE
 Bell Family Farms
Trial Account

System.__ComObject
6/28/2014 11:41:28 PM reply with quote send message to Bell Family Farms Object to Post   

www.showcattle.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Lazy%20Show%20Cattle

This user is buying up cattle via private treaty (unnamed) then naming them with his own brand to use as breeding stock. Ranch currently has some in auction under his brand but they are feeders/culls from another ranch.

Buy at your own risk, I doubt anyone smart enough will spend money on this stock, but this is a conflict that needs to be educated on. If you have questions about verifying stock, make sure you contact the originator or investigate where the animals came from prior to buying. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks.

Chris
 smammyc
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 12:11:18 AM reply with quote send message to smammyc Object to Post

So what should he have branded them under?
 Bell Family Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 12:24:20 AM reply with quote send message to Bell Family Farms Object to Post

Leave feeders unnamed until their death, not brand feeders with a "donor style brand"

It's not rocket science to know what he/she was doing.
 Bell Family Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 12:27:33 AM reply with quote send message to Bell Family Farms Object to Post

My mistake, it wasn't donor styled branding but inappropriate naming; that's for another issue for another day. Don't list feeders and say they have great potential as a bull. Especially when you knowingly bought a bull/heifer as "feeders" and not breeding stock.
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2014 5:06:35 AM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

Smammy why comment that, sounds like your trying to cause a fight, you dont buy someones culls n breed from them
 smammyc
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 10:50:13 AM reply with quote send message to smammyc Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm just asking they're his cows once the money is exchanged . I've bought unbranded before so how should they be branded. Nice try though Matty sounds like you're trying to start something yourself

-----
Last edited by smammyc on 6/29/2014 10:52:03 AM
 smammyc
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 10:58:20 AM reply with quote send message to smammyc Object to Post

cwfeeders
Agricultural Educator

Agricultural Educator
6/29/2014 11:10:31 AM reply with quote send message to cwfeeders Object to Post

Dont see a problem with any of this, i sell a lot of un named cattle, also buy some un named cattle. Every couple weeks or so i go through and bulk name all my cattle, including feeders.
Doesnt cost anything, or change the cattle at all. Really dont see the point of this thread.
 Broke Again Bradfords
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 1:39:20 PM reply with quote send message to Broke Again Bradfords Object to Post

I think the problem was this:

Lazy bought the cattle specifically as feeders, at less than feeder price.

He is now marketing them as breeding stock for a profit.

He was asked about it in chat, and said he didn't care, and was just trying to make a quick buck.

I believe Bell didnt want people seeing that they were culls marketed as breeders by the original breeder, because the original breeder sold them as feeders, and Lazy took it upon himself to change their status and try to resell them for profit.
 Royal Livestock
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2014 1:41:42 PM reply with quote send message to Royal Livestock Object to Post

Which by the way the cattle sucked and where no where near breeding stock so there for a feeder
 cwfeeders
Agricultural Educator

Agricultural Educator
6/29/2014 1:54:56 PM reply with quote send message to cwfeeders Object to Post

I guess if he gets away with it more power to him, cant blame anyone for calling him out on it. Usually things like that catch up to people.
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2014 3:53:49 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

How can you not see a problem with it, it obviously hasnt happened to you, its rude and disrespectful to buy from someone and resell, its even worse to name their feeders and sell them as breeding stock, how would you feel selling something for 400 and next minute you see it getting 4000 in auction
 Bell Family Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 4:33:31 PM reply with quote send message to Bell Family Farms Object to Post

Smammyc, you sound a lot like DSR. Like a CC example of him.

Greens should be used as recips unless you state you're going to use them as breeders. Buying a cull to use as breeding stock is ignorance. Buying a FEEDER BULL CALF that you would be later castrating to feed out and send to market but then using it as a breeding bull is ignorant also.

If you are ok with this, then more power to you.

If I bought a bunch of culls off someone like say, FF Farms, for example. (She doesn't sell many feeders for this reason) People using her "culls" as breeding stock to produce calves for cheap and try to pawn them off as breeding stock.

This is basically like getting fake pedigree papers on animals in real life. Commercial cattle are commercial for a reason.
 Bell Family Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 4:35:25 PM reply with quote send message to Bell Family Farms Object to Post

Unnamed cattle should stay unnamed until their death, you can bulk breed unnamed cattle as well as implant unnamed cattle, but you should never name them and sell them as breeding stock. You'll lose a lot of fans on the game, we're supposed to have fun and we don't need more people breeding crap and destroying the breed.
 Bell Family Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 4:41:20 PM reply with quote send message to Bell Family Farms Object to Post

CWFEEDERS

The whole point of this thread was to make it educational for new ranches and point out the problems. Lazy didn't listen when we said multiple times, don't make a quick buck trying to sell feeders that you just bought (after someone helped him out) to try to turn a profit. I was helped out in the beginning, and as were many others for a reason to help get me started faster because I, like many others, was not patient in the beginning. If Lazy would have listened, I would have minded my own business, but Allen isn't around much and I felt like this needed to be said just in case it hurt him down the road.
 cwfeeders
Agricultural Educator

Agricultural Educator
6/29/2014 7:32:53 PM reply with quote send message to cwfeeders Object to Post

Totally missed what i was saying guys. Using feeders as breeding stock, whether it is immoral or not, is bad practice. Nobody sells there good stuff as feeders, cattle sold as feeders are inferior cattle anyway.
I raise a few beefmaster but mostly high frames, i know a lot of my culled heifers have gone as breeding stock for feeder price. It doesnt bother me though because i know they are nowhere near as good as my others and wont produce the offspring my keepers do. On the other hand, selling cattle as something they are not is wrong. But people should be able to see that the one that branded the cattle was not the breeder and that the stats dont add up.
I bulk name every animal on my ranch that i dont otherwise name. Its not to make it look like i bred all of them, it is just an ocd thing. If you like at my feeders, most were bred by me, but not all, they are all bulk named, but none of them will be sold as breeding stock either.
Once again, i agree with you guys, just maybe worded it wrong, but if thats the way he wants to do business, he wont last long, and in the end, it will catch up to him.
 FF Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 11:37:09 PM reply with quote send message to FF Farms Object to Post

As I was mentioned, I'll add in my two bits...

I don't sell recips or intact feeder steers because of unscrupulous breeders. While I never heard a peep about it from the persons I sold the recips to, I did hear from the people they sold calves out of them to. I got a few emails/comments from people unhappy with the quality of breeding stock I was selling and the offspring/grand-offspring they were getting.

As to unnamed recips, I too bulk name them. I am not reselling them though. When I buy recips, they tend to die when I'm done with them. Call it OCD, but I hate unnamed cattle floating around my recip pens.

As always,
Just my $0.02,
FF
 smammyc
Trial Account

Trial Account
6/29/2014 11:40:22 PM reply with quote send message to smammyc Object to Post

posted by Broke Again Bradfords
I think the problem was this:

Lazy bought the cattle specifically as feeders, at less than feeder price.

He is now marketing them as breeding stock for a profit.

He was asked about it in chat, and said he didn't care, and was just trying to make a quick buck.

I believe Bell didnt want people seeing that they were culls marketed as breeders by the original breeder, because the original breeder sold them as feeders, and Lazy took it upon himself to change their status and try to resell them for profit.

that makes more sense, thank you babs

Trial Account

Trial Account
6/30/2014 9:08:11 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

It doesn't matter to me one way or another.
In the real cattle world there are some people they call traders who buy cattle on a Tuesday to sale again on a Friday at a different sale.So the moral of the story is if you sale cattle for a price you are ok with then don't get mad if someone flips them for more money. that's just my 2 cent
 kbomb show cattle
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/5/2014 11:03:16 AM reply with quote send message to kbomb show cattle Object to Post

posted by Bell Family Farms
Unnamed cattle should stay unnamed until their death, you can bulk breed unnamed cattle as well as implant unnamed cattle, but you should never name them and sell them as breeding stock. You'll lose a lot of fans on the game, we're supposed to have fun and we don't need more people breeding crap and destroying the breed.
when I bought feeders or greens but name on my old acount g. Krueger farms I would name them but it would be using the breeders brand and now if I did keep a female as a recip I would go back and pay 500 to 1000 more one the next group to make up for not paying full recip price
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/5/2014 3:49:16 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

It dont matter about that stuff you just dont use people's culls as breeders

Replies in this thread : 20