Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Club Calve Cow Birth
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
7/20/2014 6:03:31 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post   

I had a 1st time MA cow in labor from 6am-2pm yesterday. By 1pm the calf had to get pulled, it was a huge calf and it got hip locked. Eventually it came out. It was a 120lb heifer. The calf won't get up after 4hrs, made no attempt to even stand, the cow got milked and the calf was tube fed. Something was off about the calf though. It was very weak and had a cloudy look in her eyes like she was blind. The calf dies a few hours later. I had another club calve 1st time cow calve in May with the same problem l. Both cows were sorta paralyzed in their hind legs afterwards. The one from May lasted a week and the one from yesterday lasted a few hours. Any ideas on what went wrong with the calving?
 Broke Again Bradfords
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/20/2014 6:25:31 PM reply with quote send message to Broke Again Bradfords Object to Post

Calves were too big.

Most likely pinched the nerve that runs down the hind legs in the cow, which is why they couldnt get up.

As far as the calf goes, may have had a birth defect, may have been deprived of oxygen too long, who knows.

Really need a better calving ease bulls for the first timers.
 DBA
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/20/2014 8:21:39 PM reply with quote send message to DBA Object to Post

You can't leave em in momma that long. If the waters broke she gets 60 minutes. Then it's time to get that calf out. Whether it be the jack or the side door. You can't leave one in there for 8 hours....

Trial Account

Trial Account
7/20/2014 8:26:12 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

That bull she was bred to has 62lb birthweight and was a Hereford. The calf was breathing very good in the first hour but then it grew shallower and shallower. The bull was bred to small commercial cows and they just popped them out and had no problems at all.
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/20/2014 8:27:16 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

Her water never broke it seemed like and I think she was a week overdue
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/20/2014 8:34:36 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by Whitebrook Farms on 7/20/2014 8:35:14 PM
 Broke Again Bradfords
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/20/2014 9:28:09 PM reply with quote send message to Broke Again Bradfords Object to Post

Wait, how did I miss that she was in labor for 8 HOURS??

Why in the world didn't you call the vet when she wasn't making progress in 1 hour?

That calf didn't have a chance being stuck that long- it either suffocated from being stuck, or it drowned.

Plus that calf was a week overdue- that should have concerned somebody.

-----
Last edited by Broke Again Bradfords on 7/20/2014 9:29:51 PM
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/20/2014 9:40:10 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

My dad didn't know her exact due date and didn't want a under developed calf. Also the vet my dad uses is out of town. The cows water broke about an hour before calving but she was ready all day. And the calf was breathing nice and strong at 1st. Also the vet that my dad did call advised him to wait before helping her bc it is her 1st calf. Her water took a good while to break

-----
Last edited by Whitebrook Farms on 7/20/2014 9:50:02 PM
 Broke Again Bradfords
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/20/2014 9:53:20 PM reply with quote send message to Broke Again Bradfords Object to Post

But in a normal, no problem calving- the calf is out within 30-45 minutes after the water breaks.

First calf heifers can take a little over an hour.

After that, they need intervention (C-section) or the calf (and possibly the cow) can die.

That's what happened. Calf was too big, plus stuck wayyy too long.

Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 7:04:25 AM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

Yeah I figured, the cow is nice and healthy and still nice, friendly and halter broke. If she doesn't get bred by end of august she will just get a year to grow. Maybe I will show her a bit over the summer next year if she doesn't calve
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 4:48:06 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

This story is like a rollercoaster
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 5:58:08 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

Long story short they both lost their calves. One was a bull and the other a heifer. They were both huge. But I have read somewhere that most Maine Anjou heifers lose their 1st calves and their is always next year. The one was bred July 1st to the same bull
 Broke Again Bradfords
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/21/2014 6:23:21 PM reply with quote send message to Broke Again Bradfords Object to Post

*facepalm*

I have no more words for this lack of understanding.

I...I just can't even.
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 8:39:56 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

I can't choose the bull those 2 r bred to and I can't choose if they r bred this year. I only raise the show animals. My dad handles the breeding then once the show calve is born then it is my responsibility to take care of cow and calve. Might also be useful information that I am 13. The cow who had the heifer, me and her were called the queens of the showring she won almost every single time

-----
Last edited by Whitebrook Farms on 7/21/2014 8:54:04 PM
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 9:07:45 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

You were queen of the ring nice
 Broke Again Bradfords
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/21/2014 9:09:09 PM reply with quote send message to Broke Again Bradfords Object to Post

Your dad should have known better.

There was no good reason why that cow had to suffer trying to push that calf for 8 hours.

That was a very preventable calf death, and preventable paralysis of that cow.

Then to breed again to the bull that helped create that giant calf is just beyond me.

that's what I'm saying.
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 9:14:57 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

Practice breeding your fake cows to high bw bulls hopefully you will learn from that before you try real cattle again
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 9:15:31 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

This is his first year with MA and he was told by the vet let her water break on her own. Her water wouldn't break for some reason until like 1pm. And the bull wasn't the problem. That Hereford has a real nice calving ease. First time cows bred to him calved real easily and the bull had a 62lb bw
 trentone
Agricultural Educator

Agricultural Educator
7/21/2014 9:23:00 PM reply with quote send message to trentone Object to Post

Do you have any experience dealing with cattle outside your real show cows. If you don't know what you are doing I STRONGLY advise don't breed show cattle to start off with. Either learn properly or buy your calf.

Just my 2 cents

Trent
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 9:32:39 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

My vet really didn't think she would go this long and didn't want to push her
 Matty.Martin
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2014 9:41:20 PM reply with quote send message to Matty.Martin Object to Post

Sometimes I think vets got their qualifications out of a McDonalds happy meal

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>