Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

smammyc
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/22/2014 8:29:23 PM reply with quote send message to smammyc Object to Post

There are a lot of variables being left out in this story. Is this just for shits and giggles on the forum or did this really happen? If it did happen you need to hire a herdsman until you have a handle of basic husbandry and I'm not being a smart ass you are going to destroy cows doing this. Just because a heifer is a Maine doesn't increase the dead calf odds. That falls on the bull and what she was fed the last 2-3 months of gestation and her birth weight. I'm having a very hard time believing they weren't on a high fat diet or someone shoved alfalfa down them trying to keep their protein up. what %age fat and protein was she fed
 smammyc
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/22/2014 8:30:16 PM reply with quote send message to smammyc Object to Post

Link a photo of the heifer prior to and after calving
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/23/2014 7:07:40 AM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

It will not let me post pictures on here from my camera roll. I can only pass it through messages on my phone. And what I meant by the vet saying to wait was for her water to break bc that is what took so long. She was fed mainly grass and a little bit of feed but I don't know what was in the feed. I bought these 2heifers at a club calve sale 2years ago. Also the reason I don't know much about what is in the feed is that I just turned 13 a few weeks ago. So I really can't do much about not knowing about MA. I am asking one of my friends who gets grand champ steers a lot but he mainly buys I think

-----
Last edited by Whitebrook Farms on 7/23/2014 7:13:39 AM
 smammyc
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/23/2014 11:19:26 AM reply with quote send message to smammyc Object to Post

Steers and heifers are completely different worlds. Were the heifers fat when they calved? Upload photos to Facebook, put them on public and link them. And find out what feed type they had
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/23/2014 12:54:53 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

I am also not allowed to have a Facebook even though I am 13 and they were both fat before they calved bc they were expecting calves and I will try to find out what they were fed
 FF Farms
Trial Account

Trial Account
7/23/2014 2:20:41 PM reply with quote send message to FF Farms Object to Post

There is a difference between fat and pregnant. You can have a fat cow who is open and an emaciated cow who is pregnant.

Could you easily feel their ribs? - There is flesh covering them, but you could feel them if you ran your hand over their sides? Would you have to press hard to find the ribs?

Were there pones of fat on each side of the tailhead?
 Whitebrook Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/23/2014 2:53:26 PM reply with quote send message to Whitebrook Farms Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I could barely feel the ribs and there was a little bit of fat around the tailhead but not much. If u have a Instagram account I can post a photo of her and tag u in it

-----
Last edited by Whitebrook Farms on 7/23/2014 3:51:19 PM

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>